These cornmeal cakes are yummy, classic, and made from wholesome ingredients. We got the cornmeal for these at Murray’s Mill, which is a place you should visit.
For Cornmeal Cakes:
15.5 oz White Beans, drained and mashed (Cannelloni Beans, preferred)
1/4 Cup Yellow Cornmeal
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1/8 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 Cup Finely Diced Mushrooms
1/4 Cup Finely Diced Red Onions
1 1/2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- In large bowl, combine mashed, drained beans, along with cornmeal, soy sauce, paprika, garlic powder, mushrooms and red onions. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated and the mixture resembles the consistency of cookie dough.
- Heat up a large stainless skillet over medium heat and add oil.
- Using a spoon, dish spoon sized dollops of the batter into the pan and press them firmly with the back of the spoon. The skillet should immediately start to sizzle. Leave the thickness around 1/4-1/2 an inch and do not overcrowd the pan (no more than 4 corn cakes at a time).
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook on each side for approximately 2 minutes per side.
- Once cooking is complete, remove onto a clean paper towel to dry and season immediately with salt.
- Once rested for at least a minute, move to serving platter and top with cabbage.
1/4 Small Cabbage Head, julienned
1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1/2 Tbsp Sesame Seed
- Heat up a medium sized stainless skillet over medium heat and add oil.
- Toss in cabbage and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic powder and toss.
- While skillet is still hot, add soy sauce to deglaze plan.
- Toss and reduce until no more liquid remains.
- Serve immediately and garnish with sesame seed.